Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Paleo candy 1

When we went to Utah over Easter break I was awed as always by my beautiful and stylish sisters. They are both gorgeous and smart and thrifty, always, but this time I particularly noticed M1 was looking really slim and fit. On inquiry I learned she has been eating Paleo style. A shortcut description of this is no sugar, no wheat, no dairy. Ouch! I love all that stuff! But I've also known for a while that I need to kick a serious sugar addiction, and M1 said giving up the other stuff made it a lot easier for her to ditch the sugar.

You can guess, I decided to try it out.  I am not great at it yet. But I feel pretty good when I stick to it.

I do still have sweet cravings. Not like before. But I decided to make some sweet,  protein packed snacks to stash for those sugar addict moments. I made this recipe up, and I have to say, it's tasty. I wasn't planning to roll the finished candies in coconut, but I had to do it so they didn't look like ... you know.


Paleo candy 1
1/2 c shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 c sliced raw almonds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c peanut butter
3 tbsp raw unprocessed honey (sister M2, maybe you could substitute maple syrup?)
1/2 c raisins or other dried fruit
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Additional coconut for coating candies

Place nuts, seeds, and coconut in blender or food processor and process until mixture resembles medium to fine breadcrumbs. Mix with remaining ingredients. Shape into 1" balls using a scoop or two teaspoons. Roll in coconut. Separate with mini muffin papers and cover tightly. Store in fridge.

2 comments:

Marta Nielsen said...

I made some like this, but with coconut oil, cocoa powder, peanut buttet, and agave. Yum!

Denise said...

Pinning this for future reference. Looks yummy! I have tried eating this way, and I lost a lot of weight and had a couple of other conditions start clearing up. Definitely good for me. But then I fell off the wagon and went back to bread and sugar. It's hard. But I'm trying to get back to it, so thanks for this little kick in the pants!